It’s hard for me to make anything with chilies and not use the juice of freshly squeezed lemons and limes. The lime really perks up the flavors of this spicy marinade that’s great on salmon, tuna and just about any wild game. You don’t need to smother the fish or meat with this marinade. A little goes a long way! This marinade is perfect for grilled foods. Because of the acidic lime and lemon juices, light colored meats and fish should only marinate for about an hour or so or else the marinade will “cook” the fish or meat and make it mushy.
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 or more jalapeno peppers seeded and minced (or leave some seeds in for heat)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 5 – 6 sprigs fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine first 6 ingredients and mash together with the back side of a large spoon. Add remaining ingredients except oil and mix well. Add oil to mixture while stirring.