I stumbled onto this recipe as I was cooking frog legs for a large group and they cooked too long – resulting in the meat falling off the bones. So I improvised and created this cold frog leg cocktail – very much like a shrimp or crab cocktail – especially if you add the Old Bay Seasoning.
Frog Legs Cocktail
- For the Frog Legs:
- 1 pile of frog legs skin removed
- 1 bottle wheat or light beer
- 3 tablespoons pickling spice
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- Old Bay Seasoning
- For the Cocktail Sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- sliced lemon
- Italian parsley
- 1. In a deep skillet, bring beer, pickling spice, salt, garlic and onion to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add frog legs and simmer until meat is just cooked and pulls away from the bone easily. While cooling, combine cocktail Sauce ingredients.
- 2. Once cooled, remove frog meat from the bones. Season with Old Bay Seasoning.
- 3. To serve, spoon seasoned frog leg meat into small glasses. Add a spoonful of cocktail sauce and garnish with lemon and parsley.