Let’s suppose that you take a look in the freezer and find that you have a few quail, some pheasant breasts, a dove or two, maybe a rabbit…not enough for individual meals, but if you throw it all into a pile, it’s dinner. You can make your own pastry dough. It’s actually pretty easy. I make it even easier by buying prepared puff pastry dough from the freezer section of my grocery store.
Game Bird Pie
- 14 ounces basic pastry dough divided in half and rolled into 2 - 12-inch circles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup each diced carrot celery and onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups game bird breast meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 strips cooked bacon crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups artichoke hearts quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces shredded jack cheese
- 1 egg mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cold water
- Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add carrot, celery and onion and saute 3 - 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 2 - 3 minutes while stirring. Stir in a few tablespoons of half and half, stir and repeat until all of the half and half is incorporated into the pan and mixture is smooth. Stir in wine. Allow mixture to cool.