OK, from the title of the recipe, it doesn’t sound like much, but what if I called it, “Grilled Fresh Albacore, Sweet Onion and Pepper Sandwich with Melted Fontina Cheese, Shredded Lettuce and Garlic Mayonnaise”? Sound better? Good! This recipe begs for a really cold beer.
Grilled Albacore Sandwich
- 4 4- ounce tuna loin steaks
- 1 red bell pepper quartered and seeded
- 1 sweet onion sliced into 4 slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices Fontina cheese or your favorite cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lime juice only
- 4 firm sourdough rolls split
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Rub olive oil over tuna, bell pepper and onion. Season all with salt and pepper. Place onions and peppers on grilled until charred. Place in a paper or plastic bag to soften for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place tuna steaks on the grill and grill both sides, but not past medium-rare. Just before done, melt cheese over tuna. Combine mayonnaise with mustard, garlic and lime juice. Spread mayonnaise mixture on both sides of each bun. Place lettuce on bottom of bun. Place tuna on lettuce and top with peppers and onions.