A great way to use up a whole bunch of deer, this jerky recipe is particularly good with older, tough animals. If you don’t have any deer meat, try it with trimmed skinless duck or goose breasts or any antlered game. Make sure that you remove any fat, gristle, silver skin, etc. before marinating the meat. This jerky is not brined or cured so it should be either refrigerated or frozen, if you plan on keeping it around for over 1 week.
- 2 - 3 pounds trimmed deer meat sliced thinly into strips
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon or more Tabasco or Asian chili-garlic sauce
- Combine marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add meat and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12 – 24 hours.
- Place meat strips on a cookie rack over a sheet pan and place pan in a 160 degree oven or dehydrator. Make sure oven door is cracked open about 1/2 inch so that moisture will escape.
- Meat should be dried in 4 – 5 hours.