It’s that time of the year – Turkey Hunting Season! These Wild Turkey Breast Won Tons are a fan favorite! Not only simple to make, the recipe yields enough for your own hunting party. Makes a great appetizer!
Wild Turkey Breast Won Tons
Servings: 25 Won Tons
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped wild turkey breast skin removed
- 3 green onions minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/3 cup jack cheese
- 25 won ton wrappers
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
- oil for frying
- Heat oil in wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and stir fry until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients except cheese and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Transfer all to a bowl and allow to cool. When cooled, chop mixture into pea-sized pieces (or pulse in a food processor). Stir in cheese. Lay won ton wrappers on a flat surface. Press together about 1 teaspoon of the turkey mixture on the center of each wrapper. Wet the edges of each wrapper with the cornstarch mixture. Fold wrapper in a triangle, pressing down around the filling and sealing the edges with your fingers. Carefully place won tons, one or two at a time, into hot (360 degree) oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season with salt while hot.
Before you process or cook a wild turkey breast, use a sharp knife to remove the gristly silverskin than runs through part of the muscle. If your wild turkey breast is tough and dry, that’s right, you overcooked it.