From the “Bottom Feeders” episode on Sportsman Channel. Try this spicy cocktail to wow your family or guests at your next shin-dig. Visit the Hispanic section of your local grocer to find the sauces and orange soda used in this recipe.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Coctel de Camarones)
- 2 cups shrimp stock
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup orange soda from Hispanic section of store
- 2 tablespoons each Búfalo and Valentina sauces
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro plus extra for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced or chopped avocado for garnish
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat shrimp stock over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook until just done. Remove shrimp and reserve.
- Combine 1/2 cup of shrimp stock with ketchup, soda, hot sauces, Worcestershire, Tabasco, cilantro and onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss with shrimp. Spoon into glasses or bows and garnish with sliced avocado and lime wedges.