Put down that can of slop from the store and make these venison Sloppy Joes with a little kick and twist with inspiration from south of the border. Add in tortillas and tequila and you have a party. I’m coming over.
South of the Border Sloppy Joes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 bell pepper finely diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and minced
- 1 cup celery finely diced
- 1 pound ground or finely diced game meat about 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup tomato salsa
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tequila optional
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- warm corn or flour tortillas
- chopped red onion
- shredded cheese
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onion, peppers and celery and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add cubed meat to pan. Once browned, stir in garlic powder, oregano, chili powder, cumin, salsa, lime juice, brown sugar and tequila. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 90 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon meat onto tortillas, top with onions and cheese.