An alternative to the usual bacon-wrapped venison-on-a-toothpick recipe, this one combines smokey canned oysters, scallions and, of course, bacon. Also, try it with fresh, “unsmoked” medium-sized oysters, preferably from Apalachicola, Fla, — home of the world’s best oysters. Partially cooking the bacon before wrapping will keep the meat from overcooking while waiting for the bacon to get fully cooked.
Backstrap, Smoked Oyster, Green Onion and Bacon Snack
- 16 to 20 thin slices from the backstrap cutting across the grain into wide pieces
- salt & pepper
- 16 to 20 canned smoked oysters
- 16 to 20 green onions green parts only
- 16 to 20 strips thin-sliced bacon partially cooked (about halfway)
- 16 to 20 small wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Place bacon strips on a flat surface. For each appetizer, wrap green onion around oyster, and place oyster in the center of the meat. Roll meat around oyster and green onion, and place on one end of the bacon. Roll bacon snugly around meat, and secure with skewer.
- Place on a medium-hot grill or under a broiler until bacon is crisp.