Susie Jimenez loves Indian fusion cooking, so she created this elk pita recipe with homemade Tzatziki sauce (just like a Gyro). Top it with a lot of cabbage and you have a hearty meal. Susie layered her pita with sauce, then elk, sauce so the flavors all marry together with every bite.
Ground Elk Pitas with Tzatziki Sauce
- For the Elk:
- 2 lbs ground elk
- 1 teaspoon each: cumin coriander, turmeric, paprika, salt, chili powder
- 1/4 cup yellow onions finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- For the Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1 cup fage yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- Mix with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and a touch of salt.
- Make the Tzatziki sauce and let it sit in the fridge to marinate while you cook the elk.
- For the elk, place oil in skillet, sauté onions and garlic for 3 minutes over high heat.
- Add meat and spices and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Assemble pitas by placing some Tzatziki sauce on the bottom of the pita, then a generous helping of the ground elk, top with more sauce and a handful of shredded cabbage. Enjoy!