Welcome back to Off the Record Podcast – Eps 5 – Kitchen Hacks.
Just once, you’d love to be a fly on the wall when a world-class chef is kicking back and spilling the beans about things he does every day to make food taste so good, right? Well, buzz your way over to this corner and listen, as Scott Leysath, The Sporting Chef, dishes on his favorite kitchen hacks.
Hack #1: most kitchen gadgets are things you can throw away.
Oh, and he’s big into brine. It adds moisture, flavor, and all that briny goodness replaces what would taste like blood. Ewww.
More of what you will learn:
* What do coolers have to do with moist meat that stays hot for hours?
* Should you let your guests see you remove cooked chicken from a cooler, wrapped in a towel?
* When is it a good idea to freeze cheese?
* What does soup have in common with books?
* How many times did Michelle’s family start the kitchen on fire while deep frying dinner?
(A: zero, because they called it supper! rimshot… But there’s more to the story.)
* Do you know what it takes to make good bone broth?
* get ready as Scott begins his war against bullion cubes.
* What, for God’s sake, is the difference between stock and broth?
* Does anybody still have a fondu pot? How about the little forks with color-coded markings so you can keep your cheese bath separated from everybody else’s?
Until next time, keep your hooks wet but your fish fillets dry in thick paper towels, so they can soak up the flavor of what you cook them in!
Not sure if we drank enough during this show…