Susie Jimenez, Food Network Star Finalist, shows how to make mole WITHOUT using chocolate – all from scratch of course. In my “Sporting Chef” show, Susie cooked the pheasant confit – meaning low and slow – and use all the parts, not just the breast. Enjoy this over American white or brown rice.
Pheasant with Almond Mole
- For Mole:
- 8 roma tomatoes chopped
- 3 dried ancho chiles soak and remove seeds and stem
- 7 chile de arbol remove stem
- 2 chipotles
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup almonds rough chop
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 small carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of cooked pheasant pulled
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa wild rice, white or brown rice
- In a sauce pan place oil with chiles, onion, celery, garlic, carrots and almonds.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and cook another 8 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and allow to simmer for 45mins - 1hour.
- Blend and season with salt and pepper but place it back in the pot and cook as long as you can
- When you are ready to serve, place your grain in a bowl, top with pheasant, then drench the top with mole. Adding shaved lettuce gives it a nice texture along with a temperature change.