If you watched the episode, “the New South” on Sportsman Channel, you would have seen me actually eat this dish in the episode – and I never do that – but the grits are THAT good. Catch full-length episodes of many of my past shows on my YouTube channel and subscribe!
Poached Trout with Green Chili Grits
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- pinch salt
- 1 cup quick grits NOT INSTANT
- 1/2 cup roasted green chilies diced
- pinch ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup masa flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 trout fillets about 8 – 10 ounces each
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup red onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Anaheim peppers sliced into rings
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup canned or fresh diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 4 tablespoons butter chilled
- Bring chicken broth and half and half and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover. Cook 5 -7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in green chilies, cheese and cilantro. Keep warm.
- Combine first 4 ingredients and dust fish fillets with seasoned flour. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add trout and lightly brown on both sides. Remove trout from pan and keep warm. Add wine to pan and stir to loosen bits. Add onion, garlic and peppers. Saute for 3- 4 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes and lemon juice. Bring to boil and reduce liquid by one-half. Whisk in chilled butter until melted.
- To serve, place a mound of grits on the center of each plate. Arrange trout around grits and spoon sauce over.