This is a great way to stretch a few upland birds into dinner and makes good use of an older and “toothier” rooster for the stuffing. If you are adept at boning out a quail while keeping the body intact, it will allow for additional stuffing.
Roasted Quail with Pheasant Sausage Stuffing
- 1 1/2 cups pheasant breast minced
- 1/2 cup smoky bacon minced
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 large egg
- 8 quail
- kosher salt and pepper
- 8 lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season the quail liberally with salt and pepper. In a blow, combine stuffing ingredients and mix well. Divide the mixture in half, and then halve again, and then once more for 8 equal portions. Roll each into a ball and place one inside each quail for roasting.
- Place stuffed quail, breast side up, on a lightly greased baking sheet and place a lemon slice over each. Roast for 12 - 15 minutes, or under golden brown.