This recipe works with just about any hunk of firm or semi-firm fish. On the HuntFishCook TV show, we used a great big piece of Mako Shark from our friends at Catalina Offshore Products. These guys will ship fish overnight to your doorstep for much less dough than you think. Check ’em out!
[youtube width=”600″ height=”360″ video_id=”e2kU96xFqPk”]
Chef Leysath used a Camp Chef Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet on the show.
Mako Shark with Orange and Jalapeno – Spicy
- 4 6 - 8 ounce shark fillets dark "bloodlines" removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper or Hi Mountain Gourmet Fish Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper seeded and minced (watch video for a tip on how to process your hot peppers)
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger finely chopped (or subsitute 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, minced)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur triple-sec, Grand Marnier, etc
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves chopped
- 3 tablespoons chilled
- Heat oil in a medium-hot skillet. Season fish with salt and pepper or Hi Mountain Gourmet Fish Seasoning and brown on one side.
- Flip fish over
- Add jalapeno pepper, ginger and orange juice concentrate. Cook for a few minutes more.
- CAREFULLY add orange liqueur making sure that you keep your face away from the pan and the liqueur away from any open flames so that they don't ignite and set you on fire!
- Cook for a few minutes more. Remove pan from heat and whisk in butter and basil until butter is melted. Serve immediately.