Pair this with Michael David Winery’s “Earthquake” wine: http://www.michaeldavidwinery.com/wines/earthquake/ Don’t be afraid in stuffing your steak, there are plenty of videos out there to help you out.
Mushroom and Parmesan Stuffed Elk Steaks
- 4 8- ounce elk steaks trimmed of all silver skin, fat and gristle
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Combine olive oil and Worcestershire sauce and rub over elk steaks. Season with salt and pepper. Place steaks on a firm surface and cut a pocket into the side of each one. make sure not to cut through the meat, just pierce each steak with a sharp knife and work it into the meat to create a pocket for stuffing.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and rosemary and sauté until mushrooms are softened. Allow to cool and stir in cheese. Place an even portion of the mushroom mixture into each steak. Steaks can be grilled, broiled or pan-seared, but not past medium-rare.