The great thing about this dish is that it can be served either hot or cold. If you choose to serve it cold, set the poached fish on a bed of mixed lettuce, garnish with tomato, cucumber, etc. and add a little rice vinegar to the sauce and call it Artichoke Pesto Vinaigrette.
Poached Fish with Artichoke and Basil Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds fish fillet fillet
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium yellow onion roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 lemon juice only
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tablespoons slivered or sliced almonds lightly toasted in a 325 degree oven
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, combine salt, wine, onion and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and cook for 5 minutes. Place fish in water and add enough hot water to just barely cover. Reduce heat to a medium-low simmer. Cook for 8 – 10 minutes or until salmon is just cooked.
- To make sauce, combine artichoke hearts and the next 5 ingredients in a blender or food processor. Process until mixture is almost pureed, but still a tad chunky. While motor is running, add oil in a thin stream until emulsified. Add to a saucepan and heat over a low heat until warm. Do not allow to boil! Season with salt and pepper.
- Place an equal portion of the cooked fish on each plate and drizzle sauce over.