Basque cuisine is simple and straightforward, taking advantage of fresh seasonal herbs and vegetables. You can cook this in parchment paper just as easily to help keep the spices and juices inside the fish. The Basque region of Spain is a rugged land of sea, mountains and wine. Hey, that sounds like California!
Basque-Style Baked Dorado
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds dorado fillet
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 anchovy fillets chopped (optional, but great)
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped (canned is OK)
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- pinch dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rub fillets with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a heavy-duty baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon tomato mixture over fish and bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the fish is just cooked.