This recipe was created by Lakemaid Beer, a unique beer brand from Minnesota. Check out their website at www.LakemaidBeer.com and take a peek at the 12 Lakemaid maidens. It’s pretty cool. Lakemaid suggests walleye fillets. You can use whatever’s available.
Beer Poached Fish
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds fish fillets
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 5 T butter
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange sliced onions on the bottom of a ceramic baking dish.
- Add sliced garlic, about 1/2 a large clove sliced per piece of fish.
- Salt and pepper both sides of fish.
- Place 1T of butter (sliced into two pads) under each piece of fish.
- Place fish on top of onions/garlic/butter.
- Cover top of fish generously with brown sugar and press firmly onto fish.
- Carefully pour beer into bottom of dish so that it comes half way up the fish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 minutes more.
- Remove fish and top with onions and garlic from liquid.