How can not try this recipe when it uses cheese-its for the breading on the cod? Kids will especially go for this. Halibut and bass will also work great for this recipe. Add coleslaw and french fries and you have the perfect meal.
Don Weston Memorial Deep Fried Rock Cod
- 6 pounds of rockcod fillets cut into 2" pieces
- halibut and bass work also
- 10 oz.box Sunshine Cheez-It
- 8 oz parmesan cheese
- 8 oz seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt & pepper to taste
1/2" cooking oil in the bottom of your pot heated til oil is active (not quite smoking).
- Puncture Cheez-It bag with a needle and squeeze out the air. Without opening the bag, crush crackers, rolling with a empty Corona bottle until crackers are dust. Add parmesan cheese and bread crumbs to the cracker dust.
- Salt and pepper chunks of fish and place in plastic shaker bag with flour, half dozen at a time, and coat with flour. Let sit for ten minutes to absorb moisture from fish to form a glue.
- Wisk milk and eggs together, dredge fish in egg mixture,covering completely. Coat fish with dry Cheez-It mixture and add to hot oil, about 6 pieces at a time. After about one minute, turn and add 6 more pieces. Fry to golden brown, about one minute per side. Drain on paper towels.