This recipe is so easy and yet so delicious that I’m almost embarrassed to share it with anyone. I suggest that you play around with this one by substituting different vinegars, preserves, fruits, etc. I like to marinade the doves for about twenty-four hours in the refrigerator, but you can get away with marinating for only an hour or two.
- 12-16 whole doves skin intact
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or substitute 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup olive oil
- Season doves with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, preserves, vinegar, onions and mustard. While whisking, add oil in a thin stream until emulsified. Place doves in bowl, toss to coat, cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. Bake, broil, pan-sear or barbecue until rare to medium-rare and still juicy in the center of the breast.