We had the pleasure of working with Tasia Malakasis of the famous Belle Chevre Fromagerie near Athens, Alabama. Tasia showed us how to turn a few duck breasts into a delicious pate-like spread. it only takes a few minutes to whip up a batch. Surprise your non duck-eating friends with this spread, but don’t tell ’em it’s duck until after they rave about how good it tastes.
Duck Mousse or Pate
- 3 strips bacon diced
- 1/4 cup onion finely minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/3 cups skinless duck breast fillets, chopped into 1 - 2-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup roasted pistachios
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or "Craisins"
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeeed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly brown bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and duck breast and saute until duck is just cooked. Allow to cool.
- Place pistachios and cranberries in a food processor and process until smooth. Add cooled duck mixture and pulse until smooth. Add goat cheese, parsley and lemon juice and continue processing until mixture is creamy and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crackers or toast points.