Tasia Malakasis, of the famous Belle Chevre Fromagerie near Athens, Ala., showed me how to make this delicious pâté-like spread out of any cooked game meat, and it only takes a few minutes to whip up a batch.
Goat Cheese “Pâté”
- 3 strips bacon diced
- 1/4 cup onion finely minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/3 cups venison backstrap or tenderized hindquarter cut trimmed of silver skin and gristle and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup roasted pistachios or almonds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or Craisins
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly brown bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and diced venison, and saute until meat is just cooked and not overcooked. Allow to cool.
- Place pistachios and cranberries in a food processor, and process until smooth. Add cooled venison mixture, and pulse until smooth. Add goat cheese, parsley and lemon juice, and continue processing until mixture is creamy and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crackers or toast points.