Alabama’s chef Joe Shaw created this great slaw with just enough habanero pepper to heat it up a degree or two. Serve as a side dish, on top of a shredded meat barbecue sandwich or, like Joe, in fish tacos.
Habanero Slaw for Fish Tacos
Servings: 1 Quart
- 5 cups green cabbage thinly shredded
- 1 medium red onion halved and very thinly sliced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 habanero pepper seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, red onion and green onions. In another bowl, combine habanero pepper, lime juice, sugar and vegetable oil. Let habanero mixture stand at room temperature for 30 minutes and then toss with cabbage. Season with salt and pepper and serve.