July 11, 2005 – Santa Cruz, CA Eight year old Jake Leysath landed his first halibut today, a 21-pounder, after an exhausting morning of fishing off the coast of Northern California. Using fresh anchovies and the skill of a seasoned fisherman, Jake boated the beauty after nearly 10 minutes of a hard-fought battle.
Jake's First Halibut
- 4 halibut fillets about 6 - 8 ounces each
- olive oil lemon juice, salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 - 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 - 3 handfulls fresh spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Rub fish with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and brown on one side, about 4 - 5 minutes. Flip over and cook for 2 minutes more. Move fish to one side of pan. To other side, add onion and next 5 ingredients. Cook for 2 minutes more. Remove fish from pan before overcooking. To pan, add spinach, tomato and 2 - 3 tablespoons more olive oil. Heat until spnach starts to wilt.
- Mound spinach mixture on center of plates. Top with fish. Sprinkle feta cheese over.