This recipe calls for quail breast fillets. Save the legs for a future appetizer. Use the same marinade and toss them on the grill. Roast the bodies in an oven with onion, carrot and celery. Then simmer in water for several hours with herbs, garlic and peppercorns and strain to make a flavorful quail stock.
Marinated Quail Salad
- 24 boneless quail breast halves skin on or off
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grapefruit segments
- 1 large avocado peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup jicama – peeled and cut into matchstick pieces optional
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 head Romaine lettuce outside leaves removed – quartered lengthwise
- 4 cups spring mix lettuce
- Combine olive oil, rice vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Divide in half.
- Place quail breasts in half of the marinade for 2 – 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Whisk mayonnaise into other half to make dressing.
- Remove breasts from marinade. Heat skillet over medium heat. Brown breasts until just cooked, but not overcooked.
- For each plate, place quartered Romaine heart on plate. Top with spring mix. Arrange grilled breasts over lettuce with avocado, grapefruit and onion.
- Drizzle dressing over. Top with chopped almonds.