Use whatever melon is in season, ripe and firm. If you plan on refrigerating the salsa for a couple of days, choose a melon that is slightly underripe so that the flesh doesn’t get mushy over time. Jicama is a crunchy sweet brown root vegetable. If you can’t find it, leave it out. This salsa is great on any fish.
Melon and Grilled Peach Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups melon diced
- 2 medium firm peaches
- 1/4 cup jicama peeled and diced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Halve and seed peaches. Aplly a thin coating of olive oil to the cut sides and grill for 2 - 3 minutes on the cut side, or until well marked. Do not move them around on the grill. Allow to cool and cut into small cubes.
- Combine peaches with remaining ingredients and toss gently. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper.