This oven “fried” crappie recipe provides a healthier alternative to frying your fish.
For a finer crust, use panko crumbs, or if you have zero breadcrumbs around, leave a few slices of bread out for a day or toast it in the oven to get it to a crumbly existence.
Looking for more delicious ways to prepare crappie? Try these recipes!
Oven “Fried” Crappie with Mustard Dill Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds crappie fillets
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flat beer
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- pan coating spray
- 6 lemon wedges
Mustard and Dill Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill minced
- dash Tabasco
- pinch salt
Combine all ingredients and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine flour with next 4 ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs well with beer. Combine breadcrumbs and cornmeal and spread out on a plate.
- For each fillet, first dredge the fish with the seasoned flour. Dip the fillets into the egg mixture and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Spray fish lightly with pan coating spray. Place each fillet on a lightly oiled baking pan and bake uncovered for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with lemon wedges and mustard and dill sauce on the side for dipping.