Topped with shaved parmesan cheese and served atop warm pasta, this dish is fast, easy and delicious. For thin slices, cut duck into thin strips with a sharp knife while still partially frozen. I created this recipe for the Ducks Unlimited Magazine – September 2011.
Quick Duck with Tomato Sauce
- 3 large skinless duck breast half fillets sliced across the “grain” into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- shaved parmesan cheese
- warm cooked pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups tomatoes seeded and chopped (or substitute canned diced tomato, drained)
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine sliced duck with next 4 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 – 2 hours.
- To prepare sauce, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes. Cook for 7 – 8 minutes, stirring often. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sliced duck and marinade and stir-fry for 2 – 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Arrange pasta on plates, spoon duck and sauce over and top with cheese.