Be careful not to overstuff the quail or they may take too long to cook. You may want to double the stuffing ingredients and serve some extra on the side. Look for pumpkin seeds in the bulk bin of your supermarket.
Roasted Quail with Southwestern Cornbread Stuffing
- 12 whole quail rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 2 cups dry cornbread stuffing
- 1 cup warm chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Anaheim pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 12 strips bacon
- Season quail lightly with next 3 ingredients. Combine stuffing and next 5 ingredients and lightly stuff into cavity of each quail. Spread preserves over quail and then wrap each with 1 bacon strip. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes or until bacon is just brown. Serve with bacon intact.