When you’ve trimmed the tuna loins and don’t want to waste what’s left, try this great recipe for tuna burgers with lots of spicy flavor. You can also use salmon. You’ll need a food processor for best results. For a great spicy seasoning, try Hi Mountain Seasonings in Fajita or Cajun. Yum.
Southwestern Tuna Burger
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna cut into 1 – 2 inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- dash or two Tabasco
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime juice only
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers crushed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
Combine all ingredients to make mayonnaise.
- In a food processor, pulse tuna until the meat is in pieces about the size of a garbanzo bean. Add to a bowl with all of the remaining ingredients except the breadcrumbs. Using your hands, combine ingredients. Add breadcrumbs and mix with hands. Form a ball about the 4 inches in diameter. Press together to form a patty about 3/4 – 1 inch thick. If the patty is too moist, add a little more breadcrumbs. If it’s too dry, add some mayonnaise.
- Patties can be grilled, broiled or pan-seared. Serve on a bun with fresh tomato, lettuce, red onion and Cilantro-Lime Mayonnaise.