This recipe includes spicy venison sausage, but any venison sausage, spicy or not, will do. If your venison sausage is a milder variety, throw in a pinch or two of red pepper flakes to spice it up.
Wild rice is a watergrass seed. It’s nutty, chewy and often paired with “regular” rice to give it body and softness. Feel free to substitute with any wild rice blend, but prepare 1 cup of uncooked rice blend as per the directions on the package.
If kale is not on your list of favorite dark, leafy greens, replace it with spinach or any other greens that make the list.
Spicy Sausage, Wild Rice and Kale Stew
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup wild rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound spicy venison sausage, broken up or diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1½ quarts chicken, beef or venison stock
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cups seeded and diced fresh tomato
- salt and pepper
- sour cream
- Prepare wild rice. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add wild rice and salt, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, breaking up any large pieces. Add onion, garlic, oregano, basil and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, add kale, reduce heat and simmer until kale is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked wild rice and tomato. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and top with a dollop of sour cream.