Enough with the bacon-wrapped doves already. I get it. It’s good. But there are many other ways to grill these lean, dark sky darts. Here’s one of my favorites. Don’t forget to zest the lemons before squeezing out the juice!
Tomato, Basil and Lemon Marinated Doves
- 12 doves split along the backbone and flattened
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest minced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup fresh tomato finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 cups olive oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice remaining ingredients except olive oil. Once mixture is well-mixed, whisk in olive oil until emulsified.
- Place doves in a shallow, non-reactive container and brush marinade evenly over. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours, turning often to coat doves.
- Place on a medium-hot grill and place doves, breast sides up, for 4 minutes. Flip over and grill for 2 to three minutes more or until breasts are medium-rare. Serve immediately.