This is a quickie that is best made just before serving so the spinach isn’t completely wilted.
Venison Sausage, Bacon, Mushrooms and Spinach
- 4 strips bacon diced
- 2 cups venison sausage thinly sliced (or crumbled in sausage is ground, not linked)
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 2 cups mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 4 big handfuls fresh spinach stems removed
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- Brown bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Add venison, and brown evenly. Add bell pepper and mushrooms, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, sugar and pepper. Heat for 1 minute more.
- Add spinach to pan, and cook until spinach just starts to wilt. Season with salt to taste. Mound on plates and top with cheese.