I grew up eating this dish, prepared with ground beef, a few times a month. I’ve since made it many times with various ground game meats and game sausage. It might be pedestrian for today’s food snobs, but it really tastes great.
- 2 medium zucchini, split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground venison
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage (or ground Italian venison sausage)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a spoon, scoop out the seed section of the zucchini. Save 3/4 of the pulp, roughly chop and place in a medium bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add venison and sausage. Cook until evenly browned. Add onion, pepper and garlic, and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer to bowl with zucchini pulp, and add tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and half of the cheese. Mix well.
- Place the zucchini, scooped side up, in a lightly greased baking dish. Spoon stuffing mixture into zucchini. Top with remaining cheese, and place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
Copyright: The Sporting Chef - www.sportingchef.com