Gather up a bunch of duck carcasses, legs and thighs and make a batch of delicious Duck Soup. This is a good way to make use of duck parts that we usually discard. You can also get rid of the root ends and trimmed pieces of carrots, celery and onions (even onion skins are OK!). “Cheap red wine” should be dry, unflavored and unsweetened. A big jug of burgundy works fine.
- 8 – 10 duck carcasses more bodies equals more flavor
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- pan spray
- cheap red wine
- cold water
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- bouquet garni a bunch of herbs tied together with string
- 1 1/2 cups carrot peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery diced
- 1 cup yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 cups cooked smoked sausage diced
- 3 cups small mushrooms whole
- 2 cups cooked barley
- Place duck carcasses and next four ingredients in a large roasting pan. Spray contents with pan spray. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours, turning contents every 20 minutes until evenly browned. Add contents of the pan to a large stock pot. Pour some wine into the roasting pan to loosen any bits stuck to the pan. Pour liquid and loosened bits into the stock pot. Pour 2 cups of red wine into stock pot and enough water to just cover contents of the pot. Add peppercorns and bouquet garni. Simmer, uncovered over low heat for 6 – 8 hours, making sure that you keep enough liquid in the pot to just cover contents. Cool to room temperature and pour contents through a colander covered with cheesecloth. Discard stuff in colander. Transfer liquid (stock) to a medium stock pot.
- Add soup contents to stock and simmer over medium heat until carrots are just soft. Serve in bowls topped with cheese or croutons or both.