I also have a plum salsa here. This sweet and sour sauce is great on any fish or wild game. And remember, you don’t have to have everything deep-fried to be a sweet and sour recipe. Just pour this over your steamed/roasted/baked fish or wild game and serve with noodles or a side of rice.
Plum Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 shallot minced (or substitute the white part of 2 green onions)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves minced
- 2 firm but ripe plums – sliced
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger optional, but good
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with equal part cold water
- salt and pepper
- Combine red wine with next 7 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce liquid to 2/3 cup. Strain liquid to remove solids. Return liquid to pan, stir in cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat when sauce thickens. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.