This simple recipe enhances the flavor of one of the best-tasting fish anywhere. The idea is to cook it quickly while making brown butter in the skillet. Once the butter starts to foam, be careful not to let it burn. Brown butter is nutty and delicious. Burnt butter separates into an oily mess and you will have to start over.
Walleye Fillets and Cheeks in Green Peppercorn Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 6- ounce walleye fillets cut into bite-sized chunks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 12 walleye cheeks if available
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns drained
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Melt the butter in large frypan over medium-high heat
- Season walleye fillets on all sides with salt and pepper. Place in pan.
- Lightly brown evenly on all sides.
- Add the lemon rind and cheeks. Brown quickly, stirring carefully so that fish does not break apart.
- Remove fish and transfer to plates or a platter. Stir in the green peppercorns and lemon juice quickly. Drizzle pan sauce over fish.