It’s a Southern thing, or “thang.” From the Mississippi Delta to the Appalachians of Virginia, I’ve been served cat head biscuits in various forms, and they’ve all been exceptionally good. Some are light and flaky, others a bit on the heavy side.
The “cat head” name comes from the irregular shape of the oversized biscuits. I like mine with a little spicy mustard.
The biscuits in this photo are from my friend Stacy Lyn Harris. If you are looking for good southern cooking – like these cheesy biscuits, give her a follow.
Breakfast Venison Steak, Egg and Cheesy Cat Head Biscuit Sandwich
- 4 4-ounce venison cube steaks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 large eggs
- 4 thin slices tomato
Cheesy Cat Head Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Prepare biscuits. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl, and mix well. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in shortening and butter until it has the texture of coarse cornmeal. Blend buttermilk into flour mixture until evenly moist. Add cheese, and work into mixture. Turn dough mixture out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until dough is even but not overworked. The less the dough is kneaded, the flakier the biscuits when cooked.
- Break the dough into 8 relatively equal portions, and lightly form into balls, pressing down until the balls are about ½ inch thick. Place onto a lightly greased baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart, and place into the preheated oven. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow biscuits to cool for 5 minutes, and then split.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season venison with salt and pepper, and brown in skillet on both sides. Transfer to a plate or pan, and keep warm. Return skillet to stove, melt butter and add eggs to pan. Cook until yolks are done as per your preference — sunny side up, medium or other.
- For each biscuit, place tomato slice on the bottom half, top with venison, egg and biscuit top. Of course, you'll have a few extra biscuits, just in case.