Bust out the ‘cue and ice down the beer, it’s officially grilling season. Oh sure, in most of the Western U.S., you can fire up the barbecue just about any time during the year, but summer is the time when I end up cooking outside more often than in. Keep the kitchen cool and fire up some of these delicious fiery deer burgers. If your processor hasn’t added some fat to your venison burger, mix in 20 – 30 percent additional fatty ground beef or pork.
Chipotle Venison Burger
- 1 1/2 lbs ground venison
- 1/4 cup yellow onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbls brown sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbl dried Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbls chipotle chilies with adobo sauce minced
- look for the small can in the Hispanic section of your market
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 sturdy burger buns or Kaiser rolls
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- Combine ground venison with next 7 ingredients and mix well. Form into 4 patties about 3/4-inch thick. Place on a white-hot, well-oiled barbecue grill and brown evenly on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Melt cheese over top before removing from grill. Place in buns with lettuce, tomato and your choice of condiments.