From the HuntFishCook TV show – Leysath cooks up a pair of “big honkin’ Canada goose breasts” in his favorite Camp Chef cast iron skillet. And yes, it is “Canada Goose” not “Canadian Goose.” Pair with a fine wine from Michael David Winery.
Coffee Rubbed Goose Breast
- 3 tablespoons ground coffee
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large Canada goose breasts silverskin and outer membrane removed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion sliced into thick slices
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter cut into chunks
- Combine rub ingredients and liberally coat goose breasts. For added flavor, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours before cooking.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and heat oil. Add goose and onion and brown evenly on both sides, but not past medium-rare. Remove goose from pan, keep warm and add coffee. Reduce liquid to 2 tablespoons, remove from heat and whisk in butter pieces until emulsified.
- Slice goose into thin slices across the grain, arrange on plates, top with onions and drizzle sauce over.