Now if you had a turkey fryer, it would make this recipe easy to put together. Or use this recipe if you have fryer leftover. And don’t worry if you don’t have pine nuts, you can substitute almonds, although the taste & consistency is different.
Crispy Turkey with Creamy Pesto Sauce
- 2 wild turkey breast halves skinless – cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons water – in a medium bowl
- 2 cups Japanese or seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- vegetable oil for frying
Creamy Pesto Sauce
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves packed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted (or substitute almonds)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon juice only
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch white pepper
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Prepare Creamy Pesto Sauce. In a food processor, combine basil leaves with pine nuts and garlic. Pulse for a few seconds. Add lemon juice and 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil and process until coarse, scraping sides as you process. Add remaining olive oil, cheese, salt and pepper and process until almost smooth. Transfer contents to a saucepan and warm over medium heat while stirring. Stir in cream and heat to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes while stirring. Keep warm.
- Place turkey strips in a plastic bag and lightly pound with a mallet until about 1/4-inch thick.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Combine breadcrumbs, salt, onion powder and garlic powder in a medium bowl.
- Heat oil, at least 3 inches deep, in a deep saucepan until medium-hot (about 360 degrees). Dredge turkey strips in seasoned flour, then egg mixture, then breadcrumbs. Carefully place strips in heated oil, one or two strips at a time. Cook until golden brown.
- NOTE: Use long tongs when adding turkey slowly to the oil. There’s a very good chance the oil will splatter and burn you if you aren’t careful with hot oil!
- Drain cooked strips on paper towels. Serve with warm Creamy Pesto Sauce.