A Best of Bacon Recipe Contest 2004 winner, this recipe comes to The Sporting Chef from Cynthia Rice of Douglas, GA. Cynthia received a bunch of Ducks Unlimited Seasoning and Rubs, Marinades and Seasoning Blends for taking the time to share this delicious stew. Thanks, Cynthia!
Cynthia’s Catfish Stew
- 5 pounds or so of fresh potatoes sliced
- 3 large Vidalia sweet onions sliced
- 1 pound sugar cured bacon
- 6 really good and fresh catfish fillets
- you can add cayenne pepper if you like it spicy
- Arrange bacon in the bottom of a cast iron dutch oven,cook slowly until browned.
- Add a layer of sliced potatoes over bacon,then a layer of sliced onions,a layer of catfish,dash of salt and pepper,alternate until pot is full.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water..pour down side of dutch oven so you don't wash the spices off
- cook slowly on medium heat for 1 hour...then simmer for 30 minutes. It is done when potatoes are tender.