Deer and Barley Soup
This recipe calls for onions, carrots and celery, but you can use any vegetables you have on hand. If you can’t find barley, use rice, pasta or potatoes. I like to serve it with homemade croutons topped with some melted Parmesan or jack cheese.
- 2 pounds venison stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts game broth or beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)
- 3 cups cooked barley (prepare as per package)
- Season meat liberally with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add meat and brown evenly. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add broth and rosemary. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until meat is soft and tender.
- Remove rosemary and stir in barley. Serve with warm bread or croutons.