Don’t let the name throw you off, this sauce is great with antlered game and waterfowl. Goes great over any venison cut. The “Freakshow” in this instance is Michael David Winery’s Cabernet Sauvignon. You can substitute any dry red wine, too.
Mushroom, Freakshow and Horseradish Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup Michael David Freakshow Cabernet Sauvignon (or substitute any dry red wine)
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter
- Heat olive oil in a medium-hot skillet. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add onion and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add Freakshow (or dry red wine) Worcestershire, garlic, horseradish and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Stir in butter until emulsified.
- Serve with venison cuts
Copyright: The Sporting Chef - www.sportingchef.com