This recipe was sent in by Paul Birtchet of Redondo Beach, California. Paul says that he prefers a 3 – 4 pound rainbow trout. We usually have to use 4 one-pounders or substitute a big steelhead trout.
Poached Rainbow Trout
- 1 whole rainbow trout cleaned (I prefer 3-4 lbs., you can vary). Head can be removed.
- 4-7 cloves garlic (your taste), minced
- equal portion ginger (to Garlic), minced
- 1 bunch green onions chopped fairly fine
- 1/2 to 1 full bunch cilantro chopped fairly fine
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- soy sauce
- Thoroughly mix garlic, ginger, green onions and cilantro, set aside.
- Fill an oval roasing pan or special fish poaching pan with water and bring to a boil. Add the trout carefully and cover. Boil 7-9 minutes for a 3-4 pound fish. (less for smaller fish) Heat the oil in another small pan. Remove from heat and carefully remove the fish to a serving platter.
- Stuff the cavity of the fish(careful the fish is still very hot--you can use a spatula to open the cavity) with your onion/garlic mixture. Lay a nice bed of the mixture evenly over the body of the fish. Drizzle the hot oil over the fish to sear the flavor of the greens mixture into the fish. There should be a lot of popping and crackling. Drizzle soy sauce over the fish to taste.
- To serve, slice into the fish with a metal spatula along and just above the backbone, then cut the pieces to size. Once the top layer of meat is served you can lift the remaining skeleton from the tail and this will leave just the moist, juicy meat from the rest of the fish.
- You will not taste a less "fishy" rainbow trout and the meat stays very moist.