Few things taste as good on a cold weather duck hunt as a hot cup of coffee, but do you know that coffee adds a new dimension when rubbed into a duck before cooking? A great tasting rub will enhance the flavor of any meat. This rub combines fairly common rub ingredients with freshly ground coffee. While it might sound a little goofy at first, you’ll love the aromatic quality it’ll give to your grilled ducks. Try this recipe on any waterfowl, antlered game or beef.
Coffee Rubbed Gadwall
- 4 gadwall ducks split down the backbone and breast into two halves.
- 3 tablespoons ground coffee beans or substitute coffee grounds
- 3 tablespoons coarse ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons DU Savory Herb Seasoning)
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoons paprika
- Pat ducks dry with paper towels. Combine rub ingredients and rub into outside of ducks. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 – 3 hours. Place on a white-hot, well-lubricated grill. Cook breast side down until browned.
- Flip over and continue to cook to desired doneness.