This recipe works well with any type of fish that either fairly thin, yet sturdy or that can be butterflied to about 1/4 inch thick. I first used the recipe on speckled trout and it was fantastic! You can use the whipped cream cheese in a tub – or just leave the refrigerated cream cheese out for an hour and you’ll be fine.
Snapper (any fish) with Margarita Cream Cheese
- 4 snapper fillets butterflied so that the meat is about 1/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon sweet and sour mix
- 1 teaspoon sweetened lime juice
- 1 lime juice only
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves minced
- 1/4 cup crushed cracker crumbs
- Season fish with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Lay fillets flat on a work surface. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over fillets. Roll fillets up snugly, but try and keep the filling from squeezing out. Place the fillets, seam side down in a lightly buttered baking dish. Place in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes or until fish is just cooked.