Anything fried, squirrel included, tastes pretty good. In this recipe, the squirrel is first fried and then simmered in liquid until tender. Pro tip: young squirrels taste much better than old ones. If you are worried about fat and cholesterol, eat a carrot.
Looking for more ways to prepare squirrel? Give these recipes a try.
Bacon Fried Squirrel
- 4 young squirrels each cut into 6 to 8 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 slices bacon chopped
- 1/4 cup onion sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves minced
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups warm cooked rice
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder and flour. Dredge squirrels in flour mixture.
- Cook bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat until browned. Fry squirrel pieces in bacon grease until medium brown.
- Add remaining ingredients except rice and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until squirrel pieces are tender. Serve with warm rice.