Anything fried, squirrel included, tastes pretty good. The squirrels are first fried and then simmered in liquid until tender. Young squirrels taste much better than old ones. If you are worried about fat and cholesterol, eat a carrot.
Bacon Fried Squirrel
- 4 young squirrels each cut into 6 to 8 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 slices bacon chopped
- 1/4 cup onion sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves minced
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups warm cooked rice
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder and flour. Dredge squirrels in flour mixture. Cook bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat until browned. Fry squirrel pieces in bacon grease until medium brown. Add remaining ingredients except rice and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until squirrel pieces are tender. Serve with warm rice.