This squirrel recipe is an easy and delicious way to prepare squirrel. Don’t let the long cook time intimidate you: most of it is the simmering required to make the meat tender.
The only question is: What wine do you pair with squirrel? Since it is still a game meat, and a dark meat at that, a red wine would work best – especially with this heavier dish of gravy and rice. But really, even a great Chardonnay would go well with this dish. Try Michael David Winery Chardonnay.
Looking for more recipes from The Sporting Chef? Try these!
Simple Squirrel (Hillbilly squirrel & gravy over rice)
- 2 squirrels cut into 6 pieces each
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 oz vegetable oil +/-
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked rice white , brown , wild chose your favorite
- Mix flour salt pepper in bag.
- Drop in squirrel parts 6 at a time and shake well.
- Heat oil in # 8 cast iron firing pan.
- Brown/sear squirrel well over med-high heat 4 minutes per side. Remove to paper towels (will cook through during simmer).
Make gravy with pan drippings
- Add flour from bag to oil in pan just enough to absorb most oil. Stir well (can remove some oil if necessary).
- Add milk to pan, stirring a lot (can be thin/watery for gravy, can add water to thin).
- Season with salt & pepper as necessary.
- Add squirrel and simmer with on low approx. 2 hours with lid (until tender).
- Cook rice as directed.
- Place squirrel back leg over rice spoon gravy over...EAT !