Simple Squirrel Recipe (Hillbilly squirrel & gravy over rice)
This squirrel recipe is an easy and delicious way to prepare squirrel. Don’t let the long cook time intimidate you: most of it is the simmering required to make the meat tender.
The only question is: What wine do you pair with squirrel? Since it is still a game meat, and a dark meat at that, a red wine would work best – especially with this heavier dish of gravy and rice. But really, even a great Chardonnay would go well with this dish. Try Michael David Winery Chardonnay.
Looking for more recipes from The Sporting Chef? Try these!
Braised Squirrel with Canterbury Sauce
Simple Squirrel (Hillbilly squirrel & gravy over rice)
A simple yet delicious way to prepare squirrel. Try it paired with red wine.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 squirrels cut into 6 pieces each
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 oz vegetable oil +/-
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked rice white , brown , wild chose your favorite
- Mix flour salt pepper in bag.
- Drop in squirrel parts 6 at a time and shake well.
- Heat oil in # 8 cast iron firing pan.
- Brown/sear squirrel well over med-high heat 4 minutes per side. Remove to paper towels (will cook through during simmer).
Make gravy with pan drippings
- Add flour from bag to oil in pan just enough to absorb most oil. Stir well (can remove some oil if necessary).
- Add milk to pan, stirring a lot (can be thin/watery for gravy, can add water to thin).
- Season with salt & pepper as necessary.
- Add squirrel and simmer with on low approx. 2 hours with lid (until tender).
- Cook rice as directed.
- Place squirrel back leg over rice spoon gravy over...EAT !
Leave a Comment